1.1 In this Policy, Regional Events Co Pty Ltd, we, our or us is a reference to Regional Events Co Pty Ltd ACN 651 162 284
1.2 Personal information is any information about a person where their identity is apparent, or can reasonably be ascertained, and includes Sensitive Information (Personal Information).
1.3 Sensitive Information is information or an opinion about a person’s racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, membership of a political association, religious beliefs or affiliations, philosophical beliefs, sexual preferences, health or medical information or criminal records (Sensitive Information).
- What this Policy is about
2.2 This Policy covers Personal Information collected directly from individuals who access and/or use our website (www.boardingexpo.com.au) or attend events organised by us and third party exhibitors who attend and present at our events.
2.3 We endorse fair information handling practices and uses of information in compliance with our obligations under the privacy laws in force in Australia from time to time. Any information provided, including identification of individuals, will be used only for the purpose/s intended and where the intention includes confidentiality, information will be treated as such unless otherwise required by law.
2.4 This Policy represents the default position that Regional Events Co Pty Ltd will take in its treatment of Personal Information. Regional Events Co Pty Ltd will treat all Personal Information in a manner consistent with this Policy unless you have provided your expressed consent otherwise.
2.5 If there is any inconsistency between the Act and this Policy, this Policy shall be read and interpreted to comply with the Act.
- Collection of Personal Information
3.1 Region Events Co Pty Ltd collects the following Personal Information:
• your name;
• your email address,
• your postal address;
• your phone number;
• your school; and
• position at your school
3.2 Personal Information will be typically collected:
• when you contact us through our Website;
• when you register to attend an event organised by us via an online form through our Website;
• during phone calls or other communications between you and us; and
• when you contact or communicate with us by any other means.
3.3 Our Website automatically collects anonymous usage data about visitors, including the URL that the visitor came from, the browser being used and the IP address. This data is utilised to improve the Website and our events and does not include any personally identifying information.
3.4 Most web browsers automatically accept cookies and this function can be disabled by changing the browser settings of the user.
3.5 ‘Cookies’ are alphanumeric identifiers that are stored by the web browser on a computer’s hard-drive that enable our system to recognise a visitor to our Websites. This helps Regional Events Co Pty Ltd to track basic visitor information for the purposes of optimising the design of our systems and marketing activities.
3.6 Please note that the Website may contain links to other websites which are not hosted or operated by Regional Events Co Pty Ltd. Regional Events Co Pty Ltd is not responsible for the privacy policies of such other websites and you should independently review the privacy policies on such websites.
- Use of Personal Information
4.1 Regional Events Co Pty Ltd uses Personal Information in the following ways:
• to assist us in providing you with updates about our events and exhibitors; and
• for our own internal administration purposes;
4.2 We may also use Personal Information we collect for related purposes such as:
• to record information about your usage and preferences in relation to our events, as well as any feedback provided by you;
• when combined with the desensitised Personal Information of other users (in which case such combined information will no longer be personal) to analyse and develop products and services that suit our users;
• to perform statistical analyses of user behaviour;
• to optimise marketing activities, user experience, and content;
• any other use for which we obtain permission from you.
4.3 We do not pass on any Personal Information to third parties except in accordance with this Policy.
4.4 As a user of the Website and upon registration to attend or exhibit at an event organised by us, you may receive email updates concerning the event you have registered to attend or exhibit at, other email updates as required, along with newsletters and any noteworthy changes to the Website. Your Personal Information will not be used for direct marketing purposes and will only be disclosed in accordance with clause 5.2 of this Policy.
- Disclosure of Personal Information
5.1 Other than disclosure to service providers (explained below) or as required by law (for example, disclosure to Government departments or to Courts), our policy is that we do not give Personal Information to other organisations unless we have disclosed the use in this Policy or you have expressly consented for us to do so.
5.2 The parties we may share Personal Information with are employees, subcontractors, suppliers, third party exhibitors and affiliates of Regional Events Co Pty Ltd on a need to know basis. Access to Personal Information will be revoked within a reasonable timeframe of access no longer being required.
5.3 We may also disclose your Personal Information to our Website host or business service providers in certain limited circumstances, for example when our Website experiences a technical problem or to ensure that it operates in an effective and secure manner. Access to Personal Information by these parties is subject to such parties protecting your Personal Information to at least the degree set out in this Policy, and such access will be revoked within a reasonable timeframe of access no longer being required.
5.4 Occasionally, Regional Events Co Pty Ltd might also use Personal Information for other purposes or share Personal Information with another organisation because:
• we believe it is necessary to protect your rights, property or personal safety;
• we believe it is necessary to do so to prevent or help detect fraud or serious credit infringements – for example, we may share information with other, credit reporting agencies, law enforcement agencies and fraud prevention units; or
• we believe it is necessary to protect the interests of Regional Events Co Pty Ltd – for example, disclosure to a Court in the event of legal action to which Regional Events Co Pty Ltd is a party.
5.5 When we share information with other organisations and service providers as set out above, we do so in accordance with this Policy. To the extent that these organisations and service providers gain access to Personal Information, their use is governed by their own privacy policies, the Act and any other relevant law.
5.6 In the event that Regional Events Co Pty Ltd is sold or merged with another entity, the data, including your Personal Information, may be transferred to the purchasing entity, which would be bound to comply with the Act in relation to the access, storage and use of your Personal Information. Your Personal Information would not be disclosed to a buyer in either circumstance, other than as a part of the transfer of all data related to the Websites to that buyer.
- Confidentiality and Data Security
6.1 We take all reasonable steps to manage data stored by us to ensure data security and to prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of Personal Information. Notwithstanding the above, Regional Events Co Pty Ltd is not responsible for any third-party access to Personal Information as a result of:
• interception while it is in transit over the internet;
• an unpatched vulnerability, a zero-day vulnerability, or an attack within 48 hours of a vendor releasing a patch or update; or
• spyware or viruses on the device (such as a computer or phone) from which you access our Website or otherwise contact us.
6.2 Regional Events Co Pty Ltd is also not responsible for any losses, expenses, damages and costs, including legal fees, resulting from such third-party access.
6.3 If we have reasonable grounds to believe that your Personal Information that we hold may be subject to unauthorised access or disclosure (eligible data breach), we will investigate and assess the suspected eligible data breach to determine whether the eligible data breach is likely to result in serious harm to you (Notifiable Data Breach). If a Notifiable Data Breach occurs, then we will notify you and the Australian Information Commissioner as soon as practicable after we become aware of the Notifiable Data Breach in accordance with our obligations under the Act. We will comply in every way with our obligations under Part IIIC – “notification of eligible data breaches” of the Act.
- Retention and Disposal of Personal Information
7.1 We will retain Personal Information for as long as is required for us to fulfil the purposes for which the Personal Information was collected, including where applicable to provide you with information concerning our events and to comply with legal requirements.
7.2 If we no longer require Personal Information for any purpose, including legal purposes, we will take reasonable steps to securely destroy or permanently de-identify the Personal Information.
- Access to Personal Information
8.1 You can request access the Personal Information held about you at any time by contacting our Privacy Officer (Director).
8.2 We will always endeavour to meet requests for access. However, in some circumstances we may decline a request for access. This includes the following circumstances:
• we no longer hold or use the information;
• providing access would have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of other persons;
• the request is frivolous or vexatious;
• the information relates to existing or anticipated legal proceedings and would not normally be disclosed as part of those proceedings;
• providing access would be unlawful; and
• providing access would be likely to prejudice the detection, prevention, investigation and prosecution of possible unlawful activity.
8.3 If we decline a request for access, we will provide reasons for our decision when we respond to the request.
8.4 We reserve the right to charge you a reasonable fee for access to your Personal Information. These charges will be limited to the cost of recouping our expenses for providing you with your Personal Information, such as document retrieval, photocopying, labour and delivery.
8.5 Despite anything contained in this Policy to the contrary, if the Freedom of Information Act 1982 applies to a person on whose behalf we hold Personal Information, the access and correction requirements in the Act operate alongside and do not replace other informal or legal procedures by which an individual can be provided access to, or correction of, their Personal Information.
- Changing or deleting Personal Information
9.1 We will take reasonable steps to ensure that Personal Information is accurate, complete and up-to-date at the time of collecting the Personal Information from you, using or disclosing the Personal Information, or during other interactions with you.
9.2 If you believe that any Personal Information we hold about you is inaccurate, incomplete or out-of-date, you may contact our Privacy Officer (Director).
9.3 We will do our best to correct any Personal Information that is inaccurate, incomplete or out-of-date or dispose of it in accordance with this Policy.
10.2 If you have a complaint in relation to the way your Personal Information has been handled by Regional Events Co Pty Ltd, the complaint should be made in writing to our Privacy Officer (Director) in the first instance. Regional Events Co Pty Ltd will investigate the complaint and prepare a response to you in writing within a reasonable period of time.
10.3 Our Privacy Officer (Director) can be contacted by:
Phone: +61 427 888 777
10.4 From time to time, our policies will be reviewed and may be revised. Regional Events Co Pty Ltd reserves the right to change this Policy at any time.
Last updated 7 October 2021 and will be updated as circumstances dictate.